Sunday, June 20, 2010

Gone so long....

I am so far behind in bloging, I wonder if I should just start all over! Well, in the last 2+ months my best friend Katie and her wonderful husband Justin, welcomed their very first child! A happy and handsome baby boy named Daniel. He captured so many hearts in just his first day here and can't imagine how over-the-moon mommy and daddy must be.

I finally finished that antique oval table I found several weeks back for only $6. I think it might just be my favorite piece so far, and since it was only $6 that makes this frugal chic even more happy!



We finally got an awsome dresser that our dear friend, Justin (Daniel's daddy!) found me home. To say that it is in rough shape is being too kind. We got it home, pulled all the drawers (except for one stickler that still refuses to come out!) scrubbed it down and let it sit on the porch to dry. Then we couldn't get any of the drawers back in. That's right. NONE of the drawers would fit back in their snug little homes. We figured since it had been sitting outside on the porch in our lovely 100 degree (seriously) and 100% humidity weather the wood must have swelled. Brought the dresser and drawers in to "rest" and after 2 weeks I've managed to get all but 2 drawers back in. I have deemed this dresser my make or break for furniture renovation. When (not if, because there is nothing more than this type A, control freak girl loves than a challenge!) I get done with this dresser it will be my masterpiece. However, it structurally needs a LOT of work. I can sand, I can fill holes, I can paint, I can drill, but I can't build. Minor repairs ok, but this thing really needs an overhaul. So, I've called the lovely Vicki from Victoria's antiques in Leesburg (you've seen me blog about her before) and she's been kind enough to offer her help. Since I got the dresser for free, I don't mind paying her to get the dresser structurally where it needs to be and then I'll paint it. It's gonna be several weeks since she just got her new shipments from France in this weekend (guess where I'm gonna be next Saturday once she gets them all unloaded!!!!) I'm swooning just at the mear thought of it!


See, I wasn't lying. It needs some help!

I have done a couple of frames too in the last couple weeks and put 2 photo's I've taken in the past in them. One is from home last July 4th and the other is from our last trip to Bimini. Ah, Bimini....how I miss you so.

Before: After:



In the meantime, I have been busy with my photography. Our friends Gavin and Angie have 5 month old twins. One girl, one boy (how fun!) Angie asked me to do some photos for her to give to Gavin for his very first Fathers Day. I have yet to do any people only architecture and nature so I was super excited. Little did I know just how much work this was gonna be! But, it was super informative and I walked away with a lot of tips and understanding for the future. Here are a few.






I have finally come up with a name for the furniture renovation business: Southern Reinvented! Not sure if I'm gonna combine the photography and furniture business together under one name or not. That is TBD. My great friend Ashly is a graphic desinger and is going to be working on an awsome logo for me so look for that in the near future. For now the blog name stays but who know's what will happen in the future. Have a great weekend!




1 comment: